The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery
Chris Woodall | 2017-10-10
- The evidence for human linked global warming is very strong (and has only become stronger)
- The reduction in biodiversity is intense, and probably irreversible; we have changed climates and biomes and there is probably no going back.
- There is no silver bullet, we need all nations to collaborate and the issues are largely policy issues. However, individual contributions are larger than I thought and in aggregate can improve the situation dramatically. These issues can be made easier with appropriate application of technology (electric cars, solar panels, etc.)
- A benefit of a green energy economy is that it can wrestle the production of power from corporations to communities, through town owned infrastructure (wind), and personal ownership (solar).
- Coal is the enemy, other forms of carbon emissions are more efficient and thus slightly less problematic.
- There is some hope…
I need to continue studying these issues, I think it can make a major impact on my habits and push me to try to get more involved.